Witches Rede of Chivalry
Magical Rites from the Crystal Well, Ed Fitch and Janine Renee, 1987, Llewellyn
Insofar as the Craft of the Wise is the most ancient and most honorable creed of
humankind, it behooves all who are Witches to act in ways that give respect to the
Old Gods, to their sisters and brothers of the Craft, and to themselves.
Therefore, be it noted that:
1. Chivalry is a high code of honor which is of most ancient Pagan origin, and must
be lived by all who follow the old ways.
2. It must be kenned that thoughts and intent put forth on this Middle Earth will
wax strong in other worlds beyond and return... bringing into creation, on this
world, that which had been sent forth. Thus one should exercise discipline, for "as
ye plant, so shall ye harvest."
3. It is only by preparing our minds to be as Gods that we can ultimately attain
4. "This above all... to thine own self be true..."
5. A Witch's word must have the validity of a signed and witnessed oath. Thus,
give thy word sparingly, but adhere to it like iron.
6. Refrain from speaking ill of others, for not all truths of the
matter may be known.
7. Pass not unverified words about another, for hearsay is, in large
part, a thing of falsehoods.
8. Be thou honest with others, and have them know that honesty is
likewise expected of them.
9. The fury of the moment plays folly with the truth; to keep one's
head is a virtue.
10. Contemplate always the consequences of thine acts upon others.
Strive not to do harm.
11. Diverse covens may well have diverse views of love between members
and with others. When a coven, clan, or grove is visited or joined, one should
discern quietly their practices, and abide thereby.
12. Dignity, a gracious manner, and a good humor are much to be admired.
13. As a Witch, thou has power, and thy powers wax strongly as wisdom
increases. Therefore, exercise discretion in the use thereof.
14. Courage and honor endure forever. Their echoes remain when the
mountains have crumbled to dust.
15. Pledge friendship and fealty to those who so warrant. Strengthen
others of the Brethren and they shall strengthen thee.
16. Thou shalt not reveal the secrets of another Witch or Coven. Others have labored
long and hard for them, and cherish them as treasures.
17. Though there may be differences among those of the Old Ways, those
who are once-born must see nothing, and must hear nothing.
18. Those who follow the mysteries should be above reproach in the eyes of the
19. The laws of the land should be obeyed whenever possible and within
reason, for in the main they have been chosen with wisdom.
20. Have pride in thyself and seek perfection in body and in mind. For
the Lady has said, "How canst thou honor another unless thou give honor to thyself
21. Those who seek the Mysteries should consider themselves the select
of the Gods, for it is they would lead the race of humankind to the highest of
thrones and beyond the very stars.
Next: Autonomatrix Manifesto